Thursday, May 13, 2010

Gear Checklist

I'm starting to get excited about Saturday's race. With all almost all of my training done, it's time to focus on some other aspects of triathlon racing...such as getting all of the required gear together.

I've made a list of everything (hopefully) that I will need to pack in the car and take with me to the race. Here's what I've come up with:

Swim Items:
  • Swim cap (may be provided, but I'll take one anyway)
  • Goggles
  • Tri Shorts
  • Spare Goggles (straps have been known to break)
  • Wetsuit
  • Plastic bag (Walmart/Kroger bag) to assist in putting on the wetsuit
  • Body Glide
  • Warm Bottle of water (tip I got from another triathlete - I'll dump this down my suit to keep my body warm right before entering the water)
 Bike Items:
  • Bike (duh)
  • Racing Shirt
  • Bike Shoes
  • Socks
  • Pump
  • Helmet
  • Sunglasses
Run Items:
  • Shoes (with bungee laces)
  • Hat
  • Socks (may use same socks that I biked in, we'll see what kind of shape their in after the bike)
Clothing Items:
  • Pre-Race warm clothing
  • Flip-Flops
  • Towel
  • Post-Race clothing
Misc Items:
  • Race Registration Confirmation
  • Garbage Bag (for wet clothing/wetsuit)
  • Race number belt
  • Sunscreen
  • Chap Stick
  • Watch
  • Towel for Transition Area
  • 2 Water Bottles / 2 Gatorade Bottles
  • 2 PowerBars
  • 6 Gel packs
That's it. Seems like a lot of stuff, and some of it I could do the race without, but it's all necessary if I want to have a good race. Navin from the movie "The Jerk" would be proud.



So I'll lay all of this stuff out in the garage Friday night and go over my checklist one more time before packing it all up. Then Saturday morning, I can get up, eat breakfast, and head straight out to the race site without having to worry about having everything...well...maybe I'll double check the list again before I leave!

YESTERDAY'S WORKOUT:
Tempo Run
I did 4 laps around the mall (1.23 miles per lap)
1) 9:53 - Avg HR = 145 (8:02 min/mile pace)
2) 9:16 - 159 (7:32)
3) 9:13 - 165 (7:29)
4) 9:47 - 163 (7:57)
The premise behind a tempo run is to start out at a comfortable pace, gradually speed up in the middle, then end at a comfortable pace. This is the perfect type of run to do during race week. Pushed it for about 20 minutes, but nothing that will leave me fatigued.
Total Workout - 4.92 miles in 38:10 - (7:45 min/mile)

TODAY'S WORKOUT:
Day Off!!! Rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This