Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Back to Base

While I enjoyed my Transition Phase last week, I'm paying the price for it now. Believe it or not, by limiting myself to three short workouts and not eating as healthy as I normally do, I gained 6 pounds last week! Must have been the lunch buffet at Mr. Gatti's I had on Wednesday...or maybe it was the 3-4 soda's I drank throughout the week....or the homemade cookies at my brother's cookout on Saturday. Either way, as I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, my body isn't quite ready yet.

YESTERDAY'S WORKOUT:
Bike
1h45m on the bike. I'm back into my Base Phase, so that means building my endurance by riding in heart rate zone 2 (125-137 bpm). My average HR for this workout was 127....which is a little low, but still in the zone.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:
Run
1 mile repeats with 1 minute rest in between
Warm-up lap - 1.2 miles in 9:39 (Avg HR = 155) 8:02 min/mile pace
1) 6:20 (169)
2) 6:54 (171)
3) 7:18 (170)
4) 7:19 (169)
Cool-down lap - 1.2 miles in 10:21 (161) 8:37 min/mile pace
Total Workout - 6.4 miles in 53:10 (164)
This was a tough workout. I felt good after my warm-up and the first mile repeat...but then during the second repeat, my knees started to ache and my legs already felt heavy. As you can see, my times slowed down considerably, even though my average heart rate did not. This means I wasn't working as hard as I thought I was, but I'm not that concerned....after all, I'm carrying around an extra 6 pounds and my legs have been resting for 10 days! I did 10-15 minutes of stretching after the repeats. PS - It's FREAKIN' HOT...even at 5:15am!!

Swim
2160 yards in 40:30 (32:59 min/mile pace)
This was just a nice, easy swim for 40 minutes with no break. I felt good the entire way and it was a nice recovery after the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This