Monday, February 8, 2010

That Boy Sure Is A Swimmin' Fool

If the old man in the barbershop from "Forrest Gump" was at the gym in the mornings, he would probably see me walk in and say "That boy sure is a swimmin' fool". I feel like that's all I've done the last few weeks. With the knee still healing (hopefully), I've been off the bike and cutting the runs back...but in the interest of getting something out of the time I would normally be riding, I've added significant time to my swim training. I'm averaging almost 3 hours a week over the last three weeks, and apparently it's helped.

I swam a mile this morning in 33:55, which is one of my fastest times. But the important part is that I wasn't pushing it. I swam at a nice, comfortable pace...which I felt I could have continued for another mile if I needed to. I've done a mile under 34 minutes before, but I was huffing and puffing when I finished...not so today.

As you can tell, I'm looking for a silver lining on this storm cloud known as my right knee. I'm going to get some KT Tape (which is what the PT used when he taped my knee up) today and use that from now on while running.

The cheap tape that I thought would work comes loose after about a mile or so. Still not planning on getting back on the saddle this week, but I might up the mileage on my runs if the knee feels ok afterward.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:
Swim
5 minutes of warm-up and drills
1 mile in 33:55
5 minutes of sighting drills
5 minute cool-down
Total workout: 2,268 yd (1.28 mi) in 50:27

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This