Friday, February 19, 2010

Dynamic Stretching / Warm-Up

I used to just lace up my shoes and go. I didn't stretch or warm-up at all before my runs...then I turned 30. Not that becoming a year older made it necessary for me to warm-up, but I could tell that my muscles needed more time to warm-up than they used to. So now before every run, I do a little warm-up routine to get my blood flowing and get my muscles and joints ready to run. Here's what it consists of:

Toe jogging - pretty simple, jog on your toes...little, short steps

Front grabs - walk forward lifting your forward moving leg up high to your chest. Grab the front of your lower leg and pull your knee up to your chest. Alternate legs.

Skips - think back to when you were 8...yeah, it's the same thing

Butt kicks - Jog with your heal hitting your butt with each stride

Leg kicks - Walk with your legs straight, raising each up parallel with the ground as you walk

These will get everything loose and ready to roll. I try to do 4 or 5 streches after each run...I'll talk about those some other time.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:
Swim: 5 minute warm-up
1.2 miles (2112 yds) in 39:45 (33:07 min/mile pace)
5 minute cool-down

20 minute of weights (shoulders, traps)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This