Thursday, December 24, 2009

Will Santa bring new shoes?

Headed out around 7:15 this morning for a long run with lots of hills. It was a great morning for a run, upper 30's with very little wind. It rained over night, but the precip held off long enough for me to get in 13.1 miles. There were actually more hills than flats. Check out the profile:



Some rolling hills and then some monster inclines/declines.  Held my HR in zone 2 for the most part, although it ramped up to 165 or so during some of the long climbs. Total time for 13.1 miles was 1:52:09 (8:33 min/mile).
Here's my splits. Check out the climb column!




Note that on the flat miles (2 & 6), I was able to keep a pace of around 8:00/mile while staying in zone 2. Then on the miles with the large hills (5, 7, 8, 10, 11), the pace was in the upper 8's, closer to 9:00/mile. It's amazing what a difference hills make. Running at the same effort (based on heart rate), but going a lot slower! I also noticed some aches (not pain) in my knees and hips during the run. This, combined with the fact that I have now logged 346 miles on my current pair of shoes, can only mean one thing - Santa needs to bring me a gift card to Swag's. New shoes are needed ASAP!!

ADDEMDUM TO YESTERDAY'S WORKOUT:
Headed back to the gym and did a mile in the pool at an easy pace. Time was 34:09.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This