Friday, October 30, 2009

At the risk of sounding like a whiner...

I'm going to complain some more about the pool situation at the gym (Urban Active). My first complaint was that the pools are not a standard length. While it makes my training a little more difficult, it's something that I can deal with.



My latest complaint has to do with a recent rule change. The pool used to be open anytime the gym was...with the exception being the time that the Aqua Fitness classes were being held. All of the sudden, starting back on October 1st, the pool hours changed. The pool was no longer open until 8:00am. Well, considering that I do ALL of my swim training in the mornings before work, this poses a problem. I just don't have the time to go back to the gym after work. I can sometimes sneak in a run in the evenings, but going back to the gym for a swim session is not an option.

Apparently, they are now enforcing a law that wasn't previously enforced. After doing a little research, I found the law.

PUBLIC LAW 110-140 - DEC. 19, 2007 - TITLE XIV - POOL AND SPA SAFETY

(2) PUBLIC POOL AND SPA DEFINED.—In this subsection,
the term ‘‘public pool and spa’’ means a swimming pool or
spa that is—
(A) open to the public generally, whether for a fee
or free of charge;
(B) open exclusively to—
(i) members of an organization and their guests;
(ii) residents of a multi-unit apartment building,
apartment complex, residential real estate development,
or other multi-family residential area (other than
a municipality, township, or other local government
jurisdiction); or
(iii) patrons of a hotel or other public accommodations
facility; or
(C) operated by the Federal Government


So, according to the law, the gym pool is considered a "public" pool...even though it's considered a "private" club because you have to pay a membership fee. Here's the exact law that's making my life difficult:

When the public swimming pool is without water safety personnel on duty, a locked barrier with a minimum height of 4 ft. shall be present at the pool entrance. In addition, one of the following warning signs shall be placed in plain view with lettering 2 inches in height:

A) "POOL CLOSED, NO SWIMMING, NO
LIFEGUARD ON DUTY": PERSONS FOUND IN VIOLATION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO A FINE OF UP TO $100.00"

B) "WARNING, NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY, NO ONE MAY BE ALONE AND NO MORE THAN 5 PERSONS MAY BE IN THE POOL AT ANY TIME. PERSONS UNDER 16 MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT. PERSONS FOUND IN VIOLATION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO A FINE UP TO $100.00"

C) GATE MUST BE SECURED AT ALL TIME WITH ACCESS LIMITED TO RESIDENTS AND PATRONS.


After emailing my complaint to Urban Active "Customer Service" (which I never received a reply to), and encouraging others to do so...they made a slight change to the new rule. You can now use the pool before 8:00am, but only if there are at least two people in the pool. This makes sense based on option (B) in the law stated above (which I will admit is already posted in the pool area). After 8:00am, the gym has two employees "working". One of which could go to the pool and watch a lone swimmer.

While I understand the need for this law in some public pools, I think that the law uses too wide of a brush in determining what constitutes a "public" pool. You sign a waiver when you join the gym freeing them from any liability if you become injured. This doesn't apply to the pool? I also think that the gym should spend the money and have an extra employee present from 5am to 8am. Our gym memberships are not cheap...so why is the gym management? The gym didn't make this law, but they can abide by it with very little effort.

I've been able to swim a few mornings since the change, but only because I see other people in there and I hurry up and get in while I can. This isn't going to work when I get back on a strict training schedule starting next week. I may have to join the Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center to get in my pool training...but why should I have to join an Aquatic Center when my gym has a pool?!?!

TODAY'S WORKOUT:
1 hour of weights (shoulders, traps, abs)
35 minutes of swimming:
5 minute warm-up followed by pyramid intervals with 1:30 rest in between
8 lengths (3:30)
12 lengths (5:35)
18 lengths (8:25)
12 lengths (5:42)
8 lengths (3:45)
5 minute cool-down

This was a tough workout today. It wasn't all that far (about 0.85 miles) and I didn't even push the pace, but I was gassed after just a few laps. Clearly, my body is still not at 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This