Wednesday, September 15, 2010

High-Fructose Corn Syrup

If you read nutrition labels at all, you know that you should try to avoid high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS).  It is a sweetener and preservative used in many soda's and fruit drinks. It is made by changing the sugar in cornstarch to fructose. The end product is used to extend the shelf-life of processed foods and drinks, and is cheaper than sugar.

Consuming too much of any sweetener has the potential to promote obesity - which, in turn, promotes diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease.

So why do I mention all this? Well, the manufacturers of HFCS have found out that people are starting to look for it on labels and are avoiding products that contain it. So what are they doing? They are changing it's name. It will now be called "corn sugar". New name - same stuff.

They claim that they are doing this to ease confusing over what HFCS actually is, but I have a feeling that they other motives...especially since they are also launching a marketing campaign. Hmmmmm.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:
Run
8.54 miles in 1:14:36 (8:44 min/mile pace)
Wednesday has been my long, zone 2 run day for the last few months. Training plan for today called for 18 miles....and I was excited to go. Even had on my brand new fuel belt full of Gatorade! 

I've been battling a stomach virus since Monday morning, so I was having my doubts about what I was going to be able to do today before I even took that first step. I revised my planned route so that I didn't venture too far from from the gym...so that I could get back quickly if nature called. Sure enough, I had to cut my run short due to things out of my control (I'll spare you the details). I felt bad (no energy and stomach cramps) pretty much the whole run, but especially after mile 3. Here are my splits...note how my pace dropped off staring at mile 4:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This