Saturday, September 18, 2010

Almost Back to Normal

I've been battling a stomach virus all week. It hit me Monday afternoon and came in waves all week long. I took Tuesday off thinking a few hours of extra sleep would help me heal up. Feeling a little better, I attempted to continue with my planned workouts on Wednesday and Thursday...neither of which worked out very well. After four days of watching what I was eating and cutting my workouts short, I actually felt worse Thursday night than I had all week. So I decided to hit the sack early and sleep until I didn't feel tired. My body was fighting this virus and by getting up early and working out and continuing to eat, I wasn't giving my body a chance to fight. So I skipped yesterday's workout and worked from home, taking naps throughout the day. I also fasted (with the exception of a piece of toast, a banana and some applesauce) all day.

Good news is that I'm feeling a lot better this morning. Still no workout and I'm limiting what I eat today in hopes of getting in a good workout in the morning. With only a week to go until the Boilerman Triathlon, I need to get back to 100% and have a good week of healthy eating and short, high intensity workouts. It will be interesting to see how I feel once I get back on the bike or try to run. I've lost 7 pounds this week and I'm down to 171. Hopefully I can start getting larger amounts of food down in the next few days and get back to 175 or so by next Sunday!

THURSDAY'S WORKOUT:
Bike
45 minutes on the bike.
The plan was to ride for 30 minutes, do the 45 minute Spin Class, then get in a good swim session. After only a few minutes on the bike, I knew that it wasn't going to happen. I was very tired and didn't even have the energy to get me heart rate above 120. Spin Class started and I attempted to keep up, but for the first time ever, I had to bow out and leave only 15 minutes into the class. I took a quick shower and headed into work, feeling defeated. I normally wouldn't try and workout when feeling like I was Thursday morning, but the two weeks before a race are very important and I wanted to do something. Turns out nothing would have probably been a better idea. Here's my heart rate chart from the "workout". As you can see, it was a struggle to even make it into zone 2:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This